Thursday 28 February 2019

Power of "Gratitude" not "Contentment" Please


I am so thankful for being alive today, for seeing the beautiful sun outside and to breathe the beautiful fresh air. It’s a beautiful day to be alive, with family and friends. It’s mid-week but I am so in my element because I have every reason to be, most of the things I used to only wish for, I do have. I may not be halfway to where I want to be but I have everything I need right now; I have peace of mind, I have a loving support system, I have a loving family, caring friends; my go to girls and a boy, the most understanding kind man, a job that takes care of me for the meantime with happy colleagues. I mean I have everything I need to prepare myself for the big bright future that is called my plan, I don't want to be in this place forever, hell no ,I am going places.

You don’t have to have everything you want to be grateful; you need to have everything you need for your dreams to be a plan that will manifest to be the life that you want. Did you just see the words I used here “need and want”, read it again, slowly this time without thinking I was going to say I am happy because I have everything I want (in this case the latest version of an AUDI beast of a car, two-story house in the hills, a flourishing charity organization, a bestseller author title, two beautiful twin babies and a loving husband, and five income streams bringing ching-ching in my back account… please don’t try me #laughs). Point is, do you see where I am driving at? You don’t have to wait for your big break to be grateful. Gratitude should be a way of life, it should be the basis of your existence, the root of your happiness and the fountain of your fulfillment.

Back up: what is generally referred to as Gratitude? The laymen’s view of gratitude is “the acknowledgement of goodness in one’s live”. I appreciate this definition, however I feel that it is rather limiting for the kind of gratitude am talking about. The kind of gratitude that changes your whole perspective or rather reminds you of what life should be about really. I am talking about Gratitude that goes beyond appreciating only the goodness in life, I am talking about the kind which makes you appreciate your whole life journey, the good and the bad, the beautiful and the ugly. A kind of gratitude that goes beyond “wants” ,that understands that life journey is different for everybody, that understands that we were born at different times, different places, in different  families and we are all distinctively different. Besides nature in itself has a way of expressing itself to us differently. In essence of that our journeys are totally different.

The reason why we are unhappy most of the time is that, we compare ourselves to other people forgetting that, even though we seem to have the same resources and chances our timings our different. Nature is balanced, I know you know this, as something dies, something else is born, as something is broken ,something else is built. It is the same concept that applies here, someone makes it at 21 and becomes the world’s sweetheart and enjoy life to the fullest, but you know what maybe it happened that way because they are going to die at 45 or rather they are preparing way for someone else close to them who could have not made it given they didn’t make it at 21. Likewise you can work half of your life and only when you are 45 your big break comes, and you live up-to a hundred to see the work of your hands flourish and return your folds. That is just life.

 My point is, do not compare yourself with anyone, it steals your sight as much as it steals your happiness. Losing sight of what you have, makes you feel lesser and not grateful and an ungrateful man is bitter and most of the times envious of other people which in turn might lead to jealousy and unhealthy competition and all other toxic feelings. You don’t need that.
Be grateful of your journey, appreciate the life that you have, which is utilized by you to reach to that place you want to be. I am not saying get content and comfortable with the little that you have, no there is a difference, as much as there is a thin line between faith and stupidity, there is a thin line between being contented and comfortable with less and being grateful for the place you are at right now.

Being contented simply makes you feel comfortable with mediocre standards, with living below your fullest potential, whereas gratitude is acknowledging the existence of the current situation that can provide room for you to be better. You can be full of gratitude and work to be the best version of you, but you cannot achieve this when you have gotten comfortable in a place where you feel this is workable with, after all I am surviving. No, no, no. So I am saying for you to be happy, you need to practice gratitude whilst knowing that it’s a process, trust the process. It’s a moving bus (gratitude), not a stagnant beautiful boat in charming waters (contentment). Know the difference.


Be thankful for; life, love, family, friends, food, sunlight, fresh air, your phone and Wi-Fi and most of all the gift of time and a new day every day, which is the universe’s way of giving us second chance to being better versions of us.

N.B: also do not forget the littlest of things possible for they are the things that matter the most.

What are you grateful for today? If it is someone pick up your phone right now and let them know!!!
#growth #selfdevelopment #findingourselves


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry to judge, I can only imagine what you have gone through...

                To you whose life I broke through my words...                                                 ðŸ’”💔💔 I am sitting here t...